Monday, November 2, 2009

Rasika

Can you believe it??? Two posts in the same day, in a row no less!!! Craziness!!

I told you I was getting back at it!!!

So I know Saturday night was Halloween. And you're supposed to get dressed up, go out and party your ass off, and get totally smashed. But 1) I'm really uncreative when it comes to costumes. Really I'm terrible with coming up with costume ideas. Last year I was the person who holds the Slow-Stop sign on a construction site, the year before that B&I went as pimps (purchased costumes), one year I wore a toga (so boring).

2) The past two years I've been sick on Halloween.

3) I really hate being hungover now that I'm an old lady.

So, Saturday night, when we received an invitation to go out to dinner with a business associated/client of B's, I jumped at the opportunity not to have to come up with a costume at the last minute. B's client also suggested a restaurant that we had never been to and a cuisine we've never had; Rasika, which serves Indian fusion. After reading some reviews of Rasika online, I was actually really excited to finally try Indian food.

When B told me that our reservation was at 5:15 PM, I didn't believe him. I've never heard of this restaurant before, how could it be that popular. because you know, I know everything! :) So immediately I got on OpenTable to investigate. Not only was Rasika totally booked Saturday, but it was the #2 booked spot for Foodies! Score!

We got the restaurant before the other couple, actually while the servers were still prepping for the evening, and ponied up to the bar for a drink. When I saw the multiple glasses of fresh herbs sitting on the bar and the concoctions of beverages brewing behind the bar, I knew we were in for a treat! We started up a conversation with the bartender, only to learn that all the drinks on the menu are his original creations and he regulatory changes and adds new drinks. Behind the bar he was making a mulled cider to be mixed with scotch and some kind of pumpkin beverage that he topped with whip cream that he then took a "blow torch" too. I wish I could remember the drink I had because it was delish! All I can remember was that it was made with Brazilian rum, fennel, and was topped with an apple slice.

I have a much better memory when it comes to the food though! The bartender had given us some suggestions and he definitely made me feel a bit more at ease about eating Indian food. I'm not a huge curry fan and I don't like spicy food, so I think that's why I never tried it before. I just hope my Rasika experience doesn't ruin me for other Indian food!

There were four of us for dinner, and we kind of decided to eat family style. We started with one of their signature small plates, Palak Chaat which is a crispy spinach dish (amazing!); mango shrimp (delish!), and tawa baingan which was a tower of eggplant and spiced potato. For our main courses we had tandoori chicken (super yum and a bit spicy), lamb roganjosh which is lamb with caramelized onion, tomatoes. and garam masala all blended together (also super yum), and paneer pasanda which is cottage cheese in a sauce of saffron, cardamom, and cashew nuts. We also ordered jasmine rice and two types of herb and garlic naan. All of which was so good!!!!

What I didn't know before, that I get now is that Indian food is served in sauces or curries. And the naan is to die for. Rasika is only a few blocks from my office, so I think one day I'm going to have to go over for lunch and just get an order of the crispy spinach. It was amazing. Who ever thought to fry spinach and serve with yogurt and chutney is a genius!!

When you combine the drinks, cuisine, service, and price, I would definitely rate Rasika a 5 out of 5. There wasn't one thing I didn't like. Well, except that I had to share the crispy spinach with three other people!! :)

1 comment:

  1. this is making my mouth water! we always go somewhere fancy the friday after thanksgiving and we ALMOST went here last year. i should say definitely this year! ( :

    ReplyDelete